Monday 7 July 2008

Cell raising and inspection

One of our pallets with four colonies, we have been using pallets for stands for a couple of years now they are stable , cheap and readily available, and much easier than making in situ stands.Some of these colonies can get quite excited when you have finished an inspection but they will settle down after I've left.
Below this super was put on about three minutes before I took this photo, hopefully the bees will be as keen to fill it with honey as they are to explore the addition to their home.

The cells I grafted yesterday where quite successful, 25 out of 28 accepted. I put these in a queenright finisher. Will check in the morning to see what how many the finisher hive are working.
I'll also graft another two bars (30 cells). I would like to have 50 plus cells available for next Sunday when we will start making nucleus hives and placing supercedure cells.

No comments: