Tuesday 2 March 2010

New Beekeeping Season

As winter turns to spring every year I experience the same unrealistic optimism rising in my soul.
Hives like the one below are bursting with bees, but alas not all or even many hives look like this but enough look good to maintain my positive thoughts towards bees last a little longer.

When doing the first proper check of the year I am looking for enough stores to last till next inspection and that they have a viable Queen.
I took this picture from one of the better colonies, the queen is well developed although not perhaps in full laying condition yet. Most hives seems to be queen right but some will fail before the season gets under way. Often a bigger problem when we have had a poor summer. Like last year. Time will tell.

2 comments:

Simon said...

It must be warmer there than it is here in Bolton as I haven't yet lifted the lid for a spring inspection. All seems to be well with plenty of stores but first job this year must be to mark the two queens that emerged last year. At least this year we haven't yet run out of honey! Simon

Phil Moore said...

Hi Simon
Good to hear from the North West, I spent my formative years in Middleton and still have 2 sisters in Bury.
I find that latitude makes a significant difference just a few miles south of here in Leominster and Bromyard the bees are always 2 to 3 weeks ahead.
Its a good idea to keep checking stores especially as this year all the flowers seem way behind and the the bees will be brooding up and using stores at a rate of knots.
We don't mark Queens as we find replacing them with sealed cells means never needing to search find or catch queens, a big time saver if you have a few colonies.

All the best Phil